Friday, January 30, 2009

Four In The Morning, Really?

Like most university students, I juggle classes and all that goes with them and a part time job that helps pay for school. I am, however, the only person in my house that works. We all juggle school in this house, and it can get stressful when we're all studying and working hard. I work quite a few hours at work, mostly on the weekends, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Often, it's late Friday nights, followed by early Saturday mornings. This usually means I work Friday and then fall into bed after eating dinner, just to get up and do it all over again the next day.



Anyone that lives with roommates can relate to this. There are times when you crave the quiet for sleeping or doing work. It seems that the time you most desperately want quiet is the time when people decide to be the loudest. The constant issue with noise that I have is Friday nights. I work for over five hours and then come home to find my roommates already on their way to the amazing state of inebriation. I know that we don't really have enforced quiet hours, except for during exam time, and my roommates love to party it up on the weekends to unwind. I try my hardest to tolerate the noise most nights, but there are still nights when I end up getting woken up by noise. This usually results in me getting out of bed, walking out into the hall, and politely asking them to quiet down. I've even started putting notes on my door, before I go to sleep, reminding them that I have an early morning. This is generally a bizarre idea, seeing as how most people, when having good time with their alcohol, aren't able to read all that well.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/10-13noise.jpg



A few weekends ago, I had a very early Saturday morning with Track and Field all day at the St. Denis Centre, and decided that an earlier night than usual would be necessary. Seeing as how past attempts to ask my roomies to quiet down have sometimes failed, I decided to Google tips on how to deal with loud roommates. My results led me to a eHow page, entitled How to Deal With a Loud Roommate. I read six steps that I should follow, that will help me. After reading the steps out loud to myself, I couldn't help but laugh. The first five steps alone hardly ever work, or at least wouldn't in my situation. The first step involves communicating with your roommates and explaining what the problem is. I wonder if anyone has ever been able to talk to four roommates, who may all be slightly intoxicated, and ask them to quiet down. Ground rules don't work, because we all forget them. Earplugs won't work; I won't hear my alarm in the morning, if I'm drowning out noise the night before. These steps aren't very useful at all, and may not work for anyone. Their tips revolve around: talking to inebriated roommates, wearing earplugs, and setting rules that are easily forgotten. I wonder if somewhere out there, there's a website or wiki that will help me with noisy and sloshed roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment