Sunday, January 25, 2009

Holiday Obsessions Gone Wild

As a kid, I loved decorating for the holidays. No matter what holiday it was, I was ready to help put up any decorations we owned. As I got older, I saw how much effort my parents put in to decorate the house. Whether it was my mom struggling to get the tree to stand straight or my dad outside on a ladder yelling obscenities at a string of Christmas lights, they made the holidays special for my brother and me. Nowadays, at home, with me being a young adult and my brother a teenager, it is more of a sentimental value to decorate at home. It is almost a way to remember the past and bring a little warmth into the house.




However, here in my house in Windsor, the holiday decorating has gotten a little, well let's say, out of hand. I still love the idea of decorating for the holidays, and I love the idea of doing it with my roommates. It makes the place feel a little homier. If you came into our house, you'd be attacked by holiday decorations. We do celebrate a lot of holidays in the time we're here for the school year. We decorate for all of them. However, we apparently don't take any decorations down. Why this has happened I am not sure. We went all out for Halloween. We had one of those witches who looks like she ran into a house, a Dracula face on the bathroom door, and caution tape near the staircase. We celebrated Halloween, and soon thought about decorating for Christmas. Well, needless to say, the Halloween decorations stayed up. One of my roommates decided that we should leave our decorations up all year around, no matter what season we were in. So now we have garland, witches, snowflakes and a soon to be added string of Valentine's hearts. I love my roommates to death, and I constantly laugh at their crazy and wild antics. However, the obsession with decorations is going slightly overboard. I feel like I'm going crazy when I see decorations from every holiday imaginable, or I wonder if I'm forgetting what month we're in.



As you can see in the picture, it's a little crazy. I was always under the impression that you waited so many days or weeks after the holiday, and then the decorations came down. Apparently, here, that rule does not apply. The one thing that I think about is what their houses are going to look like when they have families of their own. Are they going to be crazy decorators still? We can only wait to find out. I may have a roommate that's one day known for their crazy lights at Christmas that can be seen from space.

No comments:

Post a Comment