Tuesday, January 20, 2009

You Never Know...

Right now, my roommates are simply my best friends and my family. Being so far away from home, we function like a family. We do everything other families do, we laugh, we fight, we cry, we make-up, just to do it all over again. The girls are my family away from home, and we help each other get through every day. We don't know where we'll be in 2 years, 5 years or even 10 years. We can hope to still be close and see each other, but who knows what the future holds? Where will we all be in 10 years? We could be living close together, or on opposite ends of the world. We also can't guess where we will be holding a job. We can't predict anything of the future, we can hope to still be close, but things change too often to have any certainity.

Browsing the web today, during my well-deserved homework break, I came across something that caught my attention and led to write this post. The 44th President of the United States officially became President today, Barack Obama. Everything on the Internet, radio, and television was about his offical inauguration today. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing or seeing it. The Internet had constant updates of the day's events, where President Obama was, what everyone was wearing, you name it, they updated it. I snuck a quick look at the New York Times website, to see their coverage, and came across a blog that I found interesting. President Obama's former roommate at Columbia University talked about his time with the President in their three room railroad flat, with unreliable heat and water. There was no way this man knew his roommate in college would go on to become the President of the United States. I could never imagine the shock, seeing the guy you went to the university gym with and slept in the next room to, on the tv, taking the oath of office.

This got me thinking about my roommates and our futures. What will become of us? English is a major for two of us, so we're still deciding where that will take us. Another is a concurrent education major, she'll be a teacher no doubt. The other two are Arts and Science majors, one with concentrations in biology and classics, the other interested in math and french. What if one of them invents the cure for cancer or solves some math equation that has never been solved before, and wins a Nobel Prize? It seems unrealistic now, we're just trying to make it through each day. You never know though. I could be living with the first female Prime Minister of Canada.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment