Thursday, February 5, 2009

Study Hysteria

The wonderful season of midterm writing has come upon us once again. It's not just one or two midterms but often all of our classes have all their midterms in the same few weeks. In addition, we also add in essays, response papers, group projects and anything else we are unfortunate enough to be assigned. We all feel the enormous pressure, no matter what program, faculty or year. We all study differently, though, depending on our own personal preferences. Some of us need some source of noise around us, while others needs complete silence to focus. We study better in groups with other people, or we study better on our own, away from outside distractions. There are so many differences in the way people study, that finding someone that studies exactly like you is almost impossible.

This is the case in my house with my roommates and me. Two science majors, two English majors, and one education major make an interesting concoction anytime, but even more so during midterm season. Not one of us studies the same as another, not even close. This often causes problems in our house, around midterm and exam time. I, for one, need to have some kind of noise around me to study. It doesn't have to be a loud or certain noise, it just needs to be something. It can be the t.v. on low volume or music on my computer, or my headphones. Total silence drives me insane, it's too quiet for me. Two roommates need silence to study, which is why you can often find them in their rooms in complete silence or in another place entirely. We often clash with noise, because the walls are awfully thin so you can hear music through them or the television. The library is sometimes a safe haven or our study room in our building. I usually study in my room, because that's where I concentrate best and feel most comfortable. I can sit at one of my two desks, or sit on the bed, lay on the bed, or even sit on the floor if I really want to. Occasionally, you can find one of us at the kitchen table, for a change of environment. It depends on the day, what we're studying, how much sleep we got, and many more factors.

I should really be studying right now actually, for upcoming midterms, but I decided writing a blog about how I should be studying would be a better use of my time. I think it's mostly because the difference in studying styles is what caught my attention today. Every student studies differently, depending on their own preferences. Put five students in one house, and then watch the craziness of study time. I decided to put in some study tips for students that I found useful online, and I hope other students find them useful as well.


1. Find a well lit, quiet place to study. (A problem in a house of roommates)
2. Work at a desk or table. (I have a problem with this, the bed is more tempting.)
3. Find the best time of day to study. (Morning vs. evening, who knows?)
4. Set up a schedule to follow. (I should work on this one)
5. Bribe yourself with rewards. (This one sounds good.)
6. Take short, frequent breaks when needed. (My breaks last too long, easily distracted.)

http://www.bmb.psu.edu/courses/psu16/troyan/studyskills/general.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment