Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stuck in the Middle

Five girls in one house can be chaotic. We all have different schedules, different lifestyles, and different personalities. I, for instance, am not a big fan of the weekend partying that usually takes place. Friday and Saturday nights are usually filled with people consuming alcohol, playing loud music, and just being all together noisy. I like staying up and relaxing on these nights, sort of like a reward for getting through another week. My roommates are not quite like that, they are more social and more likely to be louder. Normally things run fairly smoothly around here; if we have issues or concerns, we usually try to deal with the matter as soon as possible.


However, there are times when roommates collide and tension begins to build. We do clash at times, about many different things. Sometimes it's about quiet hours or quiet time, especially if it's later on in the night. Other times, it's about things that make some people tick. These small instances sometimes build up and explode. One time it was even about the delay of replacing an empty toilet paper roll. The worst part about fights in the house is when roommates who aren't involved suddenly get put in the middle of the two people fighting. In fact, sometimes it's one or two roommates verses one roommate. Being in the middle is something I hate because it leaves me feeling uneasy and stressed. I don't pick sides because usually both sides are right in some way. It makes me feel stressed because I feel like both sides talk to me about the other side and I feel so caught in the middle. The only thing I can do is stay out of the situation as much as possible, even if it means spending less time in my house or with the people that are fighting.





http://insidefatherhood.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/kidsfighting.gif


Things always work out in the end, the issues are resolved because the people fighting usually get to a point that they forget what they were fighting about or decide they'd like to talk things out. It usually takes a few days for the two to sit down and talk things out alone, and get everything out in the open. Once this happens, things always turn out better for everyone. There is no tension in the air when you walk into the house and there's no sides being chosen. It relieves stress for everyone and makes everything a little less hectic in our university lives.


That's all for now, I hope everyone is still enjoying their reading week. Also, I hope everyone's project from 26-397 turned out well.

1 comment:

  1. As the eldest of three siblings, I'm often picked as the mediator of any argument. It's pretty darn tiring.

    I usually just tell them both how they're wrong so they'll pipe down, hehe.
    "You're in the wrong for THIS, and YOU are in the wrong for THAT, so THERE! Let me do my homework!"

    Good luck with your own reffing, Nicole. :D

    ReplyDelete